Topic5 Tips to Reduce Stress When You Have ADHD
281 postsTue 17th Apr 2018 - 5:50am
Fear of flying can be a nuisance to a housewife and may deter the family from taking overseas holidays, a Brain Plus IQ major handicap to a business executive, and an occupational disaster to a pilot or other member of air crew.Fear of flying can be a nuisance to a housewife and may deter the family from taking overseas holidays, a major handicap to a business executive, and an occupational disaster to a pilot or other member of air crew.
• The phobic place or object can be so innocuous as to seem ridiculous, and dreading ridicule the patient may not be able to summon the courage to disclose the affliction to the doctor.
• Direct questioning may be needed to explore cues which are offered, such as a patient never coming unaccompanied to consult the doctor.
• Patients can be terrified that they may have an urge to urinate when a toilet may not be accessible; when afflicted with this syndrome, patients know exactly the locus of every public lavatory in their neighborhood.
• The subjective benefit to the patient of suffering from a phobic state is that life can be perfectly manageable as long as the phobic stimulus is avoided. A person with a dog phobia need only find a dogless route to work, if one exists.
• Anti-anxiety medication can assist such patients greatly, in association with interviewing which encourages the patient to 'go against the phobia', to enter into as many social occasions as possible. A requisite of treatment is that the doctor should comprehend the terror experienced by the patient (often related to childhood traumatic experience) and avoid a belittling response even when the patient's fear is grotesquely unjustified.